Healthy Falafel Recipe
by Callie England
Falafel with tahini dressing and salad is a delicious meal for lunch or dinner. This is one of my favorite dishes that I like to eat. This recipe is easy to make and it really does taste as good as it looks. This is perfect for budget-conscious dieters, raw food enthusiast, or someone just trying to be healthy on a budget without sacrificing the taste.
- .75 C almond flour (milled almonds)
- .75 C walnut flour (milled walnuts)
- .25 C fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1t ground coriander
- 2t cumin
- 8 sun-dried tomato halves, soaked for 1 to 2 hours and then chopped
- .25 C fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 shallots
- .25 C olives, stones removed
- 2t oregano
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2t salt
- 1T lemon juice
Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Shape 1″ diameter balls and place on teflex dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for about 8-12 hours.
- 2 T tahini
- 1 T lemon juice
- pinch of cayenne and cumin
- pinch of stevia (or agave)
- 1 t olive oil
- pinch of salt
Whisk all ingredients together. Be sure to adjust ingredients according to taste – can’t really go wrong.
- 1 head of romaine lettuce (washed and chopped)
- 1 tomato (seeded and chopped)
- 1 cucumber (seeded and chopped)
- 1 handful of cilantro (chopped)
Layer all ingredients in a large bowl. Place 4 falafels on top of the salad and drizzle with the lemon-tahini dressing.
If you are interested in the story behind this recipe and additional tips, please visit Callie’s website at www.rawxy.com.
(Callie England is passionate about raw (and sometimes cooked) vegan food. She is experienced in creating raw food recipes that taste delicious and look great. She is a regular contributor at foodbuzz.com, and she also regularly updates her blog at www.rawxy.com to share ideas about healthy recipes that can be prepared within a budget.)