Amazing Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
When I write a guest post for Health on a Budget, I choose a subject that is really going to help those looking for inexpensive ways to improve their health, naturally. And the use of apple cider vinegar is just such a way. In fact, there are dozens of uses so I will cover as many as possible here…
But first just a few words about apple cider vinegar itself
When buying apple cider vinegar, check to make sure it says “Raw” and “Unfiltered”. “Organic” is another healthy label. Used for hundreds of years for its medicinal properties, the raw organic version of apple cider vinegar will have an earthy brown color with a visible sediment at the bottom of the bottle.
Fresh, organically grown apples are crushed and allowed to mature in wooden barrels, boosting the natural fermentation qualities of the crushed apples and distinguishing them from those refined and distilled vinegars found in supermarkets. When using for medicinal purposes, it is wise to look for such a raw organic version but the supermarket version is perfectly acceptable as a cleaning product.
Apple cider vinegar should have a place in your medicine cabinet and in your cleaning supplies store.
Apple cider vinegar as a medicine
Firstly, drink 1 to 2 tablespoonfuls of raw organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Should you find the taste a little too bitter, add a tablespoon of raw honey or stevia and give the bottle a good shake before pouring. A daily drink will give you all these health benefits:
1. Helping to clear up acne outbreaks while useful for other skin conditions and blemishes to give a smoother texture and complexion.
2. Providing a natural cure for constipation by improving bowel irregularity and removing toxins from the body at a faster rate.
3. Slowing down the skin’s aging process being high in minerals and potassium.
4. Helping reduce sinus infections and sore throats.
5. Encouraging the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut.
6. Easing menstrual cramps.
7. Regulating blood pressure with its pectin content.
8. Fighting allergies.
9. Preventing muscle fatigue after exercise.
10. Strengthening the immune system.
11. Increasing stamina.
12. Alleviating symptoms of arthritis and gout.
13. Preventing bladder stones and urinary tract infections.
14. Helping improve bone and teeth health with its natural calcium content.
15. Providing a natural and nontoxic heartburn remedy.
16. Helping to lessen joint pain and stiffness such as endured by arthritis sufferers.
Apple cider vinegar as a cleaning product
Here are our suggested seven tips. As a cleaner, apple cider vinegar usually works best mixed with other substances.
1. For a drain cleaner and deodoriser, mix together ½ cup salt and ½ cup baking soda and pour down drain followed by ½ cup vinegar – they will react with each other. Flush the drain through with water after 2 to 3 hours.
2. For a wooden floor and tile cleaner, mix 1 cup apple cider vinegar with 3.5 liters of warm water and mop well, taking care to remove any excess water.
3. Spray clean kitchen surfaces and cutting boards with undiluted apple cider vinegar before spraying with a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide. Rinse well afterward.
4. Use the same spray bottle of undiluted apple cider vinegar to clean and prevent mold or scale in damp areas such as bathrooms.
5. A 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water will clean your windows. Use undiluted for really dirty windows. Follow up with crumpled newspaper or paper towels for a smear free finish.
6. Use half a cup of apple cider vinegar as a natural and allergy-free fabric conditioner in your washing machine.
7. Remove unwanted garlic, onion or fish smells from your hands by rinsing with undiluted apple cider vinegar.
Finally, some general information…
Apple cider vinegar can be used to prevent body odor by adjusting the skin’s pH level.
As a deodorant, simple wipe the armpits every morning with apple cider vinegar (using a cotton ball) while for foot odor, fill a bowl with warm water, and add 1/3 cup of the vinegar, allowing your feet soak to soak in this mixture for 15 minutes once a week.
If you are a pet lover, they can benefit too from organic apple cider vinegar.
Add a tablespoonful or two to their food or drinking water to help control fleas, prevent allergies and ensure a healthy shiny coat. Your pets are going to love you for this natural boost to their health.